Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Chapman Bros' new (... and improved!) hell...  (Read 17334 times)
Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« on: Jul 27, 2004, 21:40 »

After Artwork's Fiery Demise, a New and Impenitent 'Hell'

"Hell" took two years to make, starting in 1998. Charles Saatchi, the advertising magnate and collector who runs a gallery overlooking the Thames on the South Bank, bought it for

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2004, 23:24 »

X-posted from my blog...

Jake & Dinos Chapman's "Insult to Injury" etchings (apr

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2005, 02:09 »

Arrow My photos from the Chapman Brother's recent show at Kunsthaus Bregenz are now on Flickr.

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2005, 22:49 »

Arrow Dinos Chapman tells The Guardian why "artists are not sexy".

Arrow Jake and Dinos Chapman interview (by the BBC Collective)

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2006, 14:18 »

'It's all going a bit Wallace and Gromit'

Jake Chapman tells me, straight-faced, about the plan he and his brother Dinos have to paint the portraits of willing customers at this year's Frieze: "The project is a site-specific, performance-based, body-related art." The Chapmans have set up a shabbily decorated little room as a studio at the fair, where their clients will sit for a genuine portrait in oils, on canvas, by the famous British artists. I think of a sad postwar bohemia, earnestness and lost values. Jake might even paint in his pyjamas, he tells me, because artists like to feel comfortable when they work.

I do not feel comfortable. I am the guinea pig, the patsy, the brothers' first punter, sitting for my portrait in their studio.

Read on

lafave
Doubtful Guest

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2006, 20:45 »

Two bad boys beat me up, ma

There's a schoolboy bully quality about the Chapmans' work. Clean that wall at once, lads!

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,1973538,00.html
Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2006, 21:10 »

It really annoys me that this exhibition is at Tate Liverpool and not at Tate Modern, but I guess people in Liverpool need their bit of "bad art" too. I've seen most of the works featured in Bregenz anno 2003 already, so I guess I shouldn't complain. But still..  Rolling Eyes

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2006, 11:08 »

Awwww... it really looks like the English feuilleton still can't get enough shock value from the Chapman brothers:

Gore blimey

Rotting flesh, maggots, obscene sex, squirming death pits ... when you look at Jake and Dinos Chapman's work over the years, you can't help feeling anxious, says Adrian Searle

Read on

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2007, 14:48 »

The Guardian asks itself: "What's more disturbing than the Chapmans' art?"

Answer: The number of toddlers at their Tate Liverpool retrospective

Oh, come on! I grew up with Hieronymus Bosch too. Art simply can't be bizarre, macabre and disgusting enough when you're a toddler. Wink

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2007, 13:21 »

Cardboard cutouts mark new low for Chapman brothers

Jake and Dinos Chapman are pushing creative boundaries again with a new exhibition of painted sculptures made of cardboard. According to Nick Hackworth, owner of the gallery Paradise Row, where the show opens next month, the brothers aim to "test people's sensibilities. By using impoverished materials such as cardboard and papier mache, they're seeing how far and how low they can go."
Last month, the Chapmans admitted they set the bar deliberately low: "We essentially see ourselves as being similar in merit to Vanessa Mae - loads of talent but no real taste."

Read on

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2007, 01:36 »

The shock of the two Chapmans

Ever since defacing their first Goya etching, Jake and Dinos have been among the most original of artists. As a new work is unveiled, Louise Jury pays tribute to a most singular duo

Read on

Aeron
Doubtful Guest

« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2007, 02:01 »

Really looking forward to the new Hell.  I really regret not being able to have seen the last one in person.
Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 20:12 »

"Hell" has finally been restored and is currently on show at London's White Cube.

Arrow Read more over at the WurzelBlog

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: