Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in D:\www\www504\wurzelforum\Sources\Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3 La Perdida - Part IV
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: La Perdida - Part IV  (Read 7367 times)
Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« on: Jun 15, 2004, 11:35 »

La Perdida - Part IV

La Perdida is a series in 5 parts by Jessica Abel. A young woman with a Mexican father and an Anglo mother arrives in Mexico City in search of some sense of her Mexican roots and history.

Part four was released by Fantagraphics Books, Seattle, in May 2004.

Part five should be out around January of 2005.

Arrow See samples
 Arrow Order now from Fantagraphics
 Arrow Parts I - IV
 Arrow Join the Artbabe Army

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2004, 16:44 »

Artbomb reviews La Perdida V (alongside with some other newish publications from Fantagraphics)...

Inspired by her own experiences in Mexico City, Jessica Abel's La Perdida follows the south-of-the-border life of expatriate, Carla. Involved with blueblooded, ex-pat slacker Harry and Mexico City native Oscar, tensions in this critically acclaimed series have been building towards this exciting conclusion. Carla finally gets a clue about her friends' true nature and she finally gets back home to Chicago. This final issue is so good, it had to be expanded to 64 pages!

Arrow Read more

In other comics news, Tom Spurgeon has launched his new blog "The Comics Reporter". Nomen est omen.

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2005, 01:06 »

Arrow Sequential Tart reviews La Perdida #5[/url]

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2005, 11:48 »

Our beloved Jessica writes:

Hello Artbabe Army adherents:

This is just a quick note to let you know that the fifth and final chapter of La Perdida is finally finished and in stores now. Normally I would go ahead and tell you stuff about the book, but if I do, anyone who hasn't read up through #4 would get major spoilers. So I'll just say that I hope you check it out.

In other news:

DIY goes big-time[/color]
Matt Madden and I are writing a textbook on making comics. Inspired initially by how much I enjoyed doing the DIY section on my site, and then by teaching at SVA, Matt and I decided to put together a fairly massive, hands-on course in comics. It's not due out til about 2008 (when I say comprehensive, I mean it), but I'll keep you posted about it. It will be published by the impressive new comics imprint First Second. Doesn't Suck
Gabe Soria and I have sold a comics script, called "Life Sucks", also to First Second. It's not only my first script collaboration, but also my first comics script that I'm not drawing. We've signed up the excellent Warren Pleece to do that part. More to come on that project, which will probably be out in Fall 07.

Summer Study[/color]
Finally, summer is coming, sort of, and I'm teaching two courses that are open to the public:

June 19-July 2
I'll be at Ox-Bow artist retreat outside Saugatuck Michigan. This is an intense 14-day, six-hour-a-day course, and there're also bonfires and a lagoon. Fun. More info can be found here: OxBow Painting and Drawing just scroll down a little.

July 3-7
...and from Saugatuck, I jet off immediately to Fresno California, where I'll be giving the second week of a two-week comics course, following Scott McCloud, at CSU Summer Arts. here's the link for that one: CSU Summer Arts Making Comics

I'll also be teaching an intensive comics course with Matt Madden and Tom Hart at SVA in New York City which is open to college students from other schools, from mid June until mid August, and Matt will be teaching a 5-week course at Yale University through July and the beginning of August. Hey, you want to learn about comics? We want you to learn about comics too!

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2006, 14:47 »

Jessica Abel has a new website and updated her La Perdida book tour schedule as follows:

Los Angeles
Tuesday, March 7, 6:00-8:00 pm
Meltdown Comics, 7522 Sunset Blvd.
(with Matt Madden)

Wednesday, March 8, 7:00-8:30 pm
Hammer Museum , 10899 Wilshire Blvd.
An evening on the history of women and comics with Trina Robbins. In conjunction with

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2006, 16:28 »

Andrew Arnold reviews Jessica Abel's excellent La Perdida for Time.com.

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2006, 12:29 »

The Village Voice has a feature on Jessica's work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: