Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black backgrounds  (Read 6618 times)
lindseycarr
Doubtful Guest

« on: Aug 05, 2011, 13:39 »

Couldn't find a thread for specifically this kind of imagery so thought i'd start one - mainly because I just got a book on Mary Delany and think her incredibly intricate flower collages are a thing of beauty!

Collage with over 230 paper petals in the bloom

A wee bit about Mary Delany.
Born Mary Granville, 1700 - 1788. She practised embroidery and some painting before stumbling upon the technique used for the flowers - namely using small pieces of tissue cut out and glued to a black ground to build a collage. She was 72 when she started making these and she made nearly 1000 of them! Her paper collages are stored and exhibited at the British Museum.
Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2011, 14:23 »

Wow. These are insanely beautiful and detailed. Are they on permanent exhibit at the British Museum? I wanted to go there anyway to see the Treasures of Heaven exhibition while I still have an art pass.

lindseycarr
Doubtful Guest

« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2011, 14:56 »

They're amazing aren't they? Apparently she was fastidious in making sure that every flower was anatomically perfect.

Apparently there's a selection of them on permanent display in the Enlightenment Gallery, which I think is now called the Kings Gallery: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_Library#Enlightenment_exhibition

Donnewany
Doubtful Guest

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2016, 13:19 »

Sometimes simple I like this, forget it. It's what is great and I have to remember it.
gagakiller
Doubtful Guest

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 16:29 »

No matter where you describe. Try again or not

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: