Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Review] Defragmentation: _Self Construct_  (Read 3341 times)
klav
Curious Sofa

« on: Jun 22, 2004, 13:58 »

Just re-listening to it right now... and after months of buying similar stuff, i still think it is a major one of its kind. Trust me, if you are into electronic breaks, you have to have this album! OK, it's already 2 years old, but since it is unfairly unknown and since i happened to have written a review of it when it came out, there you go:

"This cd contains a wide mix of jungle, noise, experimental and industrial metal, have a nice day", says the jacket. And it would be wrong to believe this, because this album is far more than that! Transcending this fusion that some might think improbable, DEFRAGMENTATION gives us a jewel of fucked-up complexity, appropriating the best of the said genres to create something really original. "Self Construct" is 55 minutes of wonders. They start with "Stop Crashing" - a kind of electronically-chopped drum n'bad ass - that directly sets the tone of the album: total rhythmic mastering, electronic thingamajigs worthy of Aphex Twin's best stuff, always-surprising and well-placed melodic layers... and quite some fun too! "Self Construct" is not lacking in messages nonetheless: see the samples on "Christians" and "America Alone"... From the synthetic scratches of "Primitive Phantoms" to the rhythmic-stressed madness of "Acid", this album pleases the d'n'b fans  as well as the electro-industrial ones, and many others. Would this be the perfect synthesis? It is in any case my album of the year 2002. I have been defragmented, and i am still smiling.

2004 update: Shame that the defrag' boys don't seem to be putting anything else out these days. Even their website has not been updated for a while. I'll try to find out more about their actual work ASAP. Meanwhile:

label website: http://www.invisiblerecords.com/ (quite some nifty stuff, they have).

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung.»
klav
Curious Sofa

« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2004, 00:26 »

OK, got some fresher news from Jeff of Defragmentation:

Defragmentaion has moved from New York to California. When things will be settled, two releases are ahead: Bithead - full remix of easylistening and a second LP entitled "Lamentelement"  which will follow soon after.

Quoting Jeff:

New release is a strange combination.  Off the record, the cd (lamentelement) is about a 50/50 split of hard noise breaks (in homage to the first disc) and classical orchestral glitch noise.  Weird concoction of symphony orchestra meets breakcore glitchness.  I love the new stuff and can't stop listening to it, just getting anncy to get it pressed.  All in good time.

No plans to tour Europe by now.  Perhaps to promote the new LP, but nothing set up now.

I command: keep an eye on them!  Wink

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung.»
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: