Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FEMINIST ARTISTS!!! [Slightly NSFW]  (Read 37133 times)
fairytales
Doubtful Guest

« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2007, 21:26 »

Thank you, again lol. I love the picture, it's so striking. And i shall read on  :P ...
Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2007, 22:09 »

Quote from: "Suzanne"
You're most welcome, my dear. Here's something else I just stumbled upon:

‘We’re Finally Infiltrating’

Btw, I just realised that this is only part of a series of articles dedicated to "Feminist Art" - you can read them all in the February issue of ARTnews with the beautiful title  "Feminist Art - The Next Wave"

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2007, 20:39 »

Frieze issue 105: FEMINISM

‘People say, “How come you don’t take pictures of girls?” And I say, “Well I do, I just use boys to do them.”’ Collier Schorr

‘I can understand young artists saying their practice isn’t feminist, but saying you’re not a feminist, that’s just tragic, I think, and misguided. Whether you are a man or a woman.’ Connie Butler

The March issue of frieze is themed around Feminism. Connie Butler discusses her forthcoming exhibition ‘WACK! Art and the Feminist Revolution’ with Amelia Jones, and Dominic Eichler considers the themes explored by Collier Schorr in her photographs and collages.

‘Cinema’s unique capacity lies in its ability to, as Maya Deren writes memorably, “put real toads in imaginary gardens.”’

Melissa Gronlund looks back at the career of Maya Deren, whose radical and influential films are the subject of a new book published by Anthology Film Archives. Will Bradley is intrigued by Cathy Wilkes’ psychologically and socially evocative installations, while Christy Lange reflects on the videos, performances and events staged by Annika Eriksson.

From Mexico to Egypt and Senegal, Jennifer Doyle, Gilane Tawadros and N’Goné Fall examine diverse approaches taken by women to art-making. Jan Verwoert unearths alternative histories in the work of Michaela Melián. Eleanor Antin responds to the frieze questionnaire.

Plus Mathilde ter Heijne by Catrin Lorch, Claire Fontaine by Vivian Rehberg, Josephine Meckseper by Julia Bryan-Wilson and Kan Xuan by Douglas Heingartner.

In the front section Robert Storr reflects on the changes made by Feminism on the art world, while Brian Dillon is absorbed by two books about the mysteries posed to historical anatomy by women’s bodies. Tirdad Zolghadr explores the thresholds of Feminism in two new European exhibitions, and Jenni Sorkin has misgivings about the hotly anticipated Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art.

Also, renowned sociologist Saskia Sassen talks to Roland Kapferer about the role of women in society today. In ‘Life in Film’, Runa Islam lists the movies that have influenced her and her work.

The back section includes reviews of: ‘Cooling Out’, Barbara Visser, Brice Marden, ‘USA Today’, Elke Krystufek, ‘How to Build a Universe’, ‘Riflemaker Becomes Indica’, ‘The Secret Public’, ‘The Perfect Man Show’, Alexis Hunter, ‘Academy’, Mel Bochner, ‘This Will Not Happen Without You’, Gardar Eide Einarsson, ‘Clip/Stamp/Fold’, ‘The 5th Asia-Pacific Triennial’, ‘When the Moon Shines on the Moonshine’, Jennifer Bornstein, ‘Ruby Satellite’, Suzanne Treister, Agnieszka Brzezanska, Brian Fahlstrom, Conrad Shawcross, ‘Semina Culture’ and ‘I Like America’.

Frieze

(Article & image via E-Flux)

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2007, 16:51 »

You seem to have discovered a real "trend" in the art world, fairytales...

Feminist Art Goes Back Under the Lens

As we head into a month full of exhibitions devoted to feminist art — including the opening of the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art at the Brooklyn Museum, and a major exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles — a reasonable question might be: Why now? Why, 30 years after the heyday of the feminist art movement, are we putting this work under the lens?

Read on

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2007, 19:01 »

Surrealism: double vision

Surrealism's women thought they were celebrating sexual emancipation. But were they just fulfilling men's erotic fantasies?

Read on

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2007, 16:45 »

Just dropping a few links before I lose them.

Arrow WACK! Art and the Feminist Revolution

Arrow The Art of Feminism as It First Took Shape

Oh, and hipster "the-art-world-is-a-constant-party-and-I'm-right-in-the-center-of-it-oh-and-don't-forget-to-look-at-my-fur-collar!" blogger Ana Finel Honigman was a couple of weeks late (as always) and still tried to "polarise" by starting her boring "what-was-that-all-about?" article with an oh so controversial title...

Arrow Why is feminism out of fashion in contemporary art?

*yawns*

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2007, 13:30 »

Cherchez la femme

Just 7% of the Tate's collection is by women artists - with some very embarrassing gaps. Serena Davies suggests a few crucial additions

Read on

Arrow Also: Tate admits need to buy more works by women artists (by The Independent)

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #22 on: Apr 07, 2007, 02:23 »

... and now guess what the topic of the most recent edition of ArtKrush is?... Wink

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #23 on: Apr 13, 2007, 15:53 »

The mother of all festivals

The Women's Arts International Festival boasts one of the best line-ups of the summer, and Ladyfests are multiplying. What's behind this boom in female-only arts events, asks Ruth Allan

Read on

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #24 on: Apr 28, 2007, 00:11 »

Arrow Washington Post special on Feminism & Art

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007, 23:01 »

All hail the feminaissance

For years feminist artists have been sidelined, or even derided. But now, almost overnight, the art world can't get enough of them. Viv Groskop reports

Read on

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 21:00 »

Even though this might be slightly off-topic since it's about portrayed women and not female artists per se and even though I can't stand morphing clips, I do believe that everyone should watch the following video. It's strangely beautiful:

Women In Art - 500 Years of Female Portraits in Western Art

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #27 on: Apr 04, 2008, 13:11 »

Arrow WACK! review over at the German ART magazine (article in German)

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2008, 17:49 »

Article in the Independent about Maria Lassnig's current show at the Serpentine:

Arrow Faux feminisim: Is comtemporary art paying too much attention to work that should be ignored?

On a side note, Lassnig is an utterly lovely woman - no matter what some so-called art critics say. I had the pleasure to be in brief contact with her while I worked at Hauser & Wirth Zurich who represent her.  gallery

Suzanne
Site Admin
Glorious Nosebleed

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 21:36 »

Even though Lauren Bergman's work is not really my cup of tea (and, to be quite honest, I fail to see what's "feminist" about it..), I'm adding this Juxtapoz feature about her to this thread for the sake of completeness:

Arrow New Works from Lauren Bergman - American Feminism’s Contemporary Artist

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: